Who doesn’t like a good breakfast sandwich?? I mean lets be honest, we even love a bad breakfast sandwich. It can have a dried out biscuit or muffin, 2 measly slice of bacon or a super greasy sausage patty like those big chain restaurants churn out, and we will still wolf it down, and go back for another one. Here is a easy recipe you can do at home that will put those other egg sandwiches to shame.
Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 large egg
- 1 English muffin
- 1 piece of shaved black forest ham
- 5 or 6 baby spinach leaves (stems removed)
- 1 slice of each, mozzarella and american cheddar cheese
- olive oil
- honey mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- a dash of water
- 2 or 3 napkins …. This is going to be messy 😍
- Cut English muffin in half and toast in the toaster until golden brown and a little crispy
- In a small fry pan over medium heat, put in a small drop of olive oil. Once the oil has warmed up, put in the spinach, and stir until it is wilted, take spinach out of the pan and place it on some paper towel and set aside
- In the same pan, put in the black forest ham, and fry it until it starts to crisp up on both sides. remove and put it on the paper towel next to the spinach.
- On the bottom half of the English muffin spread some of the mayonnaise, then place the spinach on top, then the slice of mozzarella on top of the spinach. Then on the top half spread some of the honey mustard, then place the crispy ham, and then the slice of american cheddar on top of that . Place both pieces on a small baking pan and put under the broiler on low until both cheeses begin to melt. then remove and put both sides on to a plate.
- Check to see if there is still enough oil in the pan to fry your egg, if not add a little bit more, or a quick shot of cooking spray. Keeping the heat at medium crack your egg into the pan. Use a spatula to control the size of the egg. push some of the white back towards the yolk if it starts to spread out to thin on you. This will help keep your egg roughly the same size as your English muffin. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- to help the top of the egg cook, with out drying out the yolk, this is where I will put a small lid on the frying pan, then i will lift the lid slightly and put in just a very small amount of water on the side, just enough to make some steam, then i will close the lid and let the steam do its work on the top side of the egg (approx 30-45 seconds)
- remove the egg and put it on top of the mozzarella cheese. put the top half of the bun on to complete the sandwich and Viola!! One beautiful breakfast sandwich
- I like to give the sandwich a gentle squeeze just until I feel the yolk pop, then I will dig in. Don’t squeeze too hard though or you will have to change your shirt afterward. Again make sure you have those napkins nearby lol.
Please give this recipe a try and then leave me a comment and let me know how it turned out. Enjoy!!