After the success of Spaghetti Squash with Peanut sauce , my Wife decided that we needed to try to find more recipes that used this amazing pasta substitute. Since her favorite pasta usually involves a meat and tomato sauce, this was the obvious next choice.
This recipe will take you a little longer than your favorite pasta dish as the spaghetti squash takes more time to cook than traditional spaghetti, but it is well worth the wait. The flavours are wonderful and the presentation is fantastic because you get to use the squash as the vessel to serve your meal.
Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce
1 spaghetti squash (about 3 lbs)
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- chopped parsley for garnish
- olive oil for brushing
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- With a knife, score the squash lengthwise where you are going to cut it in half. Then poke a few holes along the score line
- Microwave the squash for 5 minutes. Allow to cool
- Carefully cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds
- Brush the insides of both halves with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper
- Place the 2 halves cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Roast the squash until tender. Approximately 30 minutes. Allow several minutes to cool
- Using a fork, scrape the insides to create a spaghetti like texture. Leave insides in the squash.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. 5-8 minutes
- Stir in minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds
- Add the ground beef. Season with salt. Cook and mix until beef is cooked through and broken into smaller crumbles. 5-8 minutes
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning then to bring to a simmer.
- Spread the tomato/beef mixture evenly into the 2 squash halves.\
- Sprinkle an even amount of the shredded cheese on each half.
- Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes
- Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately and Enjoy!
I followed the original recipe to the letter and didn’t find a thing that I would change. The only comment I have is that the recommended serving size is 4, but once you find out how incredible everything tastes, this can easily become a 2 person meal with each one devouring a half to themselves.
Please give this recipe a try, then leave a comment to let me know how it turned out. If you are interested in learning more about who I am and would like to see additional photos of the meals I cook, please check out my social media links at the bottom of the page Enjoy!!