Spicy Southern Hot Corm
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 oz cream cheese(115 g), cubed
- 3 tablespoons hot pickled jalapeños, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño brine
- ½ cup red bell pepper(50 g), diced
- ½ cup orange bell pepper(50 g), diced
- 2 cans yellow corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese(100 g), divided
- 2 tablespoons sour cream, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the cream cheese and cook until softened and spreadable, about 3 minutes.
- Add the pickled jalapeños, jalapeño brine, and red and orange bell peppers. Sauté for 3 minutes, until the peppers are tender.
- Add the corn, paprika, and salt and sauté until fully combined, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in ½ cup (50 G) of cheddar cheese. Spread the corn in an even layer, then sprinkle the remaining ½ cup (50 G) cheddar cheese on top.
- Turn the broiler on. Transfer the skillet to the oven and broil for 10 minutes, or until the cheese on top is golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Let cool for 5 minutes. Top with the sour cream then serve warm.
Feel free to play around with your choice of peppers on this one. I used reds and oranges, but yellow and green bell peppers would work just as well. I also used a Hungarian paprika which can be a little spicier. A nice smoked paprika would be a great substitution too. For a little plating tip, put some sour cream into an empty squirt bottle and draw lines back and forth over the skillet. It will give you a more consistent coverage on the sour cream so that each bite tastes the same. And as always, please give this recipe a try and then leave me a comment to let me know how it turned out. Enjoy!!